Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Angry Conversations with God




I am reading this book by Susan Isaacs called Angry Conversations with God. I think I like it. It's reminding me of a hundred conversations I've had with people over the years and several I've found myself having with God from time to time. Mostly it feels to me to be a walking this woman through the seasons of her life that were the most painful for her in her relationship with God and others. Through it it's helping her to see where she has blamed God for it all and how it ends up - He wasn't the one to blame at all.

I have not finished it yet, but am getting close. I'm not sure the book has captured the whole gospel of who God really is. But it doesn't seem that was her aim. Rather, I think it will be one I will recommend to those that have gotten spun out in faith and in church and are finding themselves bitter and distant from God and other Christ followers. Most of the story is about her struggle in singleness as well. It provides a way back to what is real and true. A gentle journey through the pain to the eye to eye, ear to ear time with God.

Susan Isaac is speaking at Imago Dei on April 3rd at Evangel campus. I'm thinking I will go to hear her. She's a professional actor and comedian and funny as snot. So I'm hoping for some humor but also to see how well she can articulate transformation and community of faith. Come and check it out.

No comments: